And now I'm shaking and prickly and a nice lunch and lots of liquids and butternut squash soup and two hour's sleep and Resolve and half-a-dozen Tivoed New Year specials have helped but not enough, but maybe whisky and the Scissor Sisters will do the trick.
Incidentally, over the Christmas break, the Picky Picky Game suffered an interruption of service, but now it's all up and working again and ready for your contributions. Somewhere in the fixing process we switched the deadline from midnight Saturday to midnight Sunday; I think it's better that way. All weekend to do a panel, then check the results on monday morning. Vote, contribute, comment here.
Last year's resolutions at first glance looked like a total failure; I stalled on the Koran after unwisely reading "Women" first, I didn't reduce my comics at all (the reverse in fact) and I certainly failed to settle on one hair colour, sort out my website and turn the Big Black Book into a day-project. On the other hand, 2004 saw not one but several longer strips, the chore situation and talking to semi-strangers are both a lot better and I now say "it's not my problem" so seldom that I'm in danger of running too far in the other direction. And the negalutions, I stuck to all of them. So, that's OK, then.
But resolutions don't really feel right for this year. I have something of a to-do list already, a couple of parties, plans and promises; I need something more flippant, less relentlessly self-improving. Fortune cookies, t-shirt slogans, advice-to-self so vague it's more irresolution than resolution.
- In relatonships that provoke anxiety, work towards estrangement indirectly.
- Remember to finish giving away things that are for other people.
- Keep your hands tucked in.
- Stop beating yourself up over walking into things.
- If the gap fits, step through it, if the job is doable, do it.
- Have the escape plan ready to implement wherever, whenever, now.
- An unrecorded experience is only half experienced.
- Eat less and drink more tea.
- Never, ever throw anything away.