Taking a wander through Flickr, discovered this elegant de-logo-ization set. I hate logos, a favourite excuse for rejecting a piece of clothing. Not that it can't be fun, in context -- like all those people with "bench" written across their breasts or bum or whatever. Resist, however, the natural urge to wrestle them to the ground and sit on the labelled parts -- it would be too boring and predictable, they'd roll their eyes, look bored and say something along the lines of, "yeah, like nobody's done that before". Like the time I was watching a press preview of Marat/Sade (three excerpts, own clothes) and I noticed that almost all of them had a Nike swoosh somewhere about their person. As they sang jolly songs about masturbation and simulated buggery on the lecture room floor it came to me that I really was watching the sex-slaves of capitalism. Performing. For me. They got a very good review.
Dickon's ego alerted me to this folder full of pictures of pretty scenesters. You could probably get similar from any style mag, but it's nice to have them delivered to your desk. Speaking of which, David Stevens' oeuvre also includes these rather stylish photos of a naked protest.
There I was thinking i-pod-omancy was my idea, and here now, all the cool kids have started doing it. The principle is basic enough -- ask a question, take the first song on random play on your music-player of choice as your answer: this 14-question variant is doing the rounds
1. How does the world see me? "Phorever People [Todd Terry mix]" - The Shamen
2. Will I have a happy life? "Fun for me" - Moloko
3. What do my friends really think of me? "Alphabet" - Jeffrey Lewis
4. Do people secretly lust after me? "Lazy Confessions" - The Moldy Peaches
5. How can I make myself happy? "Deep Thought" - Joby Talbot
6. What should I do with my life? "Open your heart" - The Human League
7. Why must life be so full of pain? "JourneyMan" - Chad Mason
8. How can I maximize my pleasure during sex? "Sequenz: Rex tremendae majestatis" - Mozart Requiem
9. Will I ever have children? "Darts of Pleasure" - Franz Ferdinand
10. Will I die happy? "It's called a heart" - Depeche Mode
11. What is some good advice for me? "Go (amphetamix)" - Moby
12. What is happiness? "Ring of Fire" - Grace Jones
13. What's my favourite fetish? "An extraordinary procession" - Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss
14. How will I be remembered? "Camel Toe" - Hawerchuk
If this looks like far too much effort, you could try a standard three-track reading:
Where I am now : I've seen it all - Bjork
Issues surrounding: For Annie - Edgar Allen Poe/Gavin Friday
Suggested action: Electrify - Beastie Boys
Or even go for the kamikaze single track fortune:
The Loneliness of Autumn - John Barry
As you may have noticed, my i-pod is a sadist. Or, at the very least, laughing at me.
So, it's just as well I have:
|Another dumb personality test to tell me what|
"Jeremy's ACTUAL problem is: Does not want to be involved ..."
Oh, joy is me.